The Blog Formerly Known as "Campus Culture"

3.04.2005

Scare Tactics

Recently I've noticed that teachers seem to be trying to intimidate us this semester. Throwing around phrases like, "in the real world. . ." using vaguely menacing voices, they try to convince us we are not good enough for life outside of college.

I went to career services about a month ago to get registered and have someone go over my resume with me. After telling the man who helped me that I was a junior, I was treated to the reply of, "That's a little late to first be coming in here. One of my appointments for later in the day is a freshmen and two are sophomores." SUPER AWESOME FOR THEM, but give me a break. Just because I don't have an internship yet for this summer, I should not be made to feel like my career has gone down the drain already. I'm 20 years old.

Maybe it's because I'm taking mostly senior classes that I encounter these teachers trying to scare the bejesus out of their students. Honestly, though, I'm just getting really comfortable with college. I'm not ready to switch gears yet. I don't know who those freshmen are making appointments at career services to get jobs. Maybe they are 40-year-olds stuck in the bodies of 18-year-olds. Who knows. All I know is that the scare tactics are working, and I'm totally intimidated by the "real world."

1 Comments:

  • Yeah melanie i feel your pain...we should keep going to career events together so that we actually do something with are summers. Have a blast over break.

    By Blogger Sam, at 8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home