The Blog Formerly Known as "Campus Culture"

4.13.2005

The Skirt-a-thon

Guys love it. Girls work towards it. It usually occurs sometime in late March at UD, and I'm sure it happens on various spring days at other schools. That's right, I'm talking about the Skirt-a-thon, a magical day where 90% of college girls bust out their skirts and get their leg on. The first warm day of the semester seems to make a number of 18-22 year old girls crave skirts. Never mind that it's only 59 degrees, dam nit, that's a lot warmer than 32 degrees, and if some crazy guys (and a few girls) can wear their flip flops all winter long, it's warm enough to wear a skirt. Luckily, this year Skirt-a-thon occurred the week after spring break so we weren't subjected to a sea of pasty legs. Most of the legs in attendance this year had just returned from a variety of Mexican vacation destinations and were a nice light brown color. From here on out, no matter how cold it gets someone will be wearing a skirt. (For the record, I saw a few girls this year wearing them in the dead of winter with their Ugg boots and thinking they were "the bee's knees." I personally thought they looked more like cold knees, but whatever.)

The first warm day was also a signal that Flip Flops are no longer just for the brave/stupid, and that it was time to store your jacket under the gigantic pile of clothes lying on your desk chair. I mean, yesterday it was only 49 degrees at noon and I saw people walking around in t-shirts. Come on people. I hate to sound like your mother, but, that's really not warm enough to avoid a light jacket or a hoodie or even a long-sleeved shirt. Hopefully in a few weeks, it will actually be warm enough to walk around sans-sleeves, socks, or anything covering your legs each and every day, but until then, check the weather before you go to class to avoid shivering violently in your tank top on the walk between Purnell and Smith.

3 Comments:

  • Honestly I'm one of those dumbasses that wears sandals year round. I've come to the conclusion that putting on shoes is way to much effort cause i can never seem to untie them or get my heal in them. I know this sounds really lazy...well it is. if you think thats bad well trust me, you don't even want to know what i think about underwear..lol

    By Blogger Sam, at 3:06 AM  

  • I am a total hypocrite, I wore a skirt & sleeveless shirt the otherday and it ended up only being like 65 degrees - I was freezing! But it's funny cause I did exactly what I make fun of people for doing.

    By Blogger Melanie, at 12:07 PM  

  • Haha, Ryan, when I read your comment at first I didn't realize it was you, and I was thinking "what a wierd girl." But now it all makes sense :) Thanks for the tip about Nikki

    By Blogger Melanie, at 11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home